The name’s got it! You probably know that insomnia simply refers to the occurrence of lack of sleep.
So? Sleep onset insomnia will refer to the inability to fall asleep at the point of what is dubbed the “normal sleep onset”, usually 10 to 15 minutes.
I guess you still don’t grok that. Here’s what I mean; when you go to bed, it is conventional that you’ll lay there awake for 10 to 15 minutes, after which you are expected fall asleep, under normal health conditions. This is what doesn’t happen with those suffering from sleep onset insomnia. They take longer. If you happen to be a victim, you’re asleep onset insomniac, though your friends may call you “the night owl”, as they did to me before I could get well off this condition. However, this text has got some good news for you! Keep reading.
what’s symptoms of insomnia.
- Feeling sleepy during the day.
- Frequent irritation.
- Daytime headaches.
- Mood swings.
- Unpleasant behaviors.
- Low concentration.
- Gastrointestinal problems.
7 causes of sleep onset insomnia.
- Being fond of using electronic devices like your computer, mobile phone, television,… you list them. You really get immersed into what you are doing with these devices, especially when watching and/or browsing. Consequently, you won’t realize that you get to sleep late I’m the night. You’ll do it repeatedly; today, tomorrow, the other day, again and again, then it becomes your character. Another day when you don’t have the electronics with you, or you just want to get some rest, you won’t find it easy to ignite a sleep.
- Stress and anxiety are other pairs of insomnia-causing agents. It goes without a say that when you are depressed, thinking about something too much, or anxious about something, you won’t just find it easy to start sleeping. That has happened to most, if not all of us if I’m not wrong.
- Restless leg syndrome ~ the nearly irresistible urge to always move your legs is another cause. This commonly happens in the evening. It is a nervous system disorder that has proved difficult to cure. When you keep on moving your legs on the bed when you should have started sleeping, you feel disturbed and falling asleep under these conditions becomes difficult. I’m sorry if this is your problem, but it can be controlled.
- Side effects of some medicines that are prescribed for depression may also sleep onset insomnia. Examples include corticosteroids, alpha blockers, beta blockers, statins, ACE inhibitors, the list continues.
- Temperature changes can also cause this disorder. For example, when it feels too hot during the summers, most people find it difficult to start sleeping as soon as they get to bed.
- Doctors have discovered too that when you take much coffee or aerated drinks at night, you’ll also find it difficult to start sleeping.
- Hormonal imbalance is also a cause. Women aged between 45 and 60 years suffer sleep onset insomnia due to this since they are in their menopausal stage, which is associated with hormonal imbalance.
The expert-endorsed treatment procedures.
The medical remedies.
- Benzodiazepines and non-benzodiazepines are pharmacological sleep aids that can provide you with some deep sleep when taken under a doctor’s prescription.
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) can also help you to modify your behaviors that cause this disorder.
- Antidepressants can be used to reduce stress.
- Natural remedies are usually the best! They are usually highly recommended.
- Eating healthily: Avoid taking coffee just before going to bed and instead take some warm milk. Warm milk will help you to start sleeping early without difficulties. Don’t smoke!
- Listen to some soft, soothing music of your favorite when you have just laid on bed. It can sound like a lullaby does to a child. You then get to sleep easily.
- Make your sleeping environment “friendly to sleep”. I mean, you need to find a calm environment, besides making your bed calm and soft. Your bed being free of sleep inhibitors like bed bugs is also included here.
- Avoid sleeping hours before the night arrives, or too much during the day. You’ll get tired easily in the night and starting to sleep won’t be a snag again.
- You can take a warm bath in the evening, or just before going to bed. It makes us feel fresh and cool to sleep.
- Sometimes, we turn and toss in bed due to some pains in our joints, pain that we can relieve ourselves of by using some massage ointment. So? You’ll find it helpful to get a message just before going to bed.